Gaming Strategy
Featured Stories
Legal News Financial News Casino Opening and Remodeling News Gaming Industry Executives Search News Subscribe
Newsletter Signup
Stay informed with the
NEW Casino City Times newsletter!
Related Links
Search Our Archive of Gaming Articles 

Arizona tribal casino plans moves forward

2 November 2006

WINDOW ROCK, Arizona – As reported by the Farmington Daily Times: "Hogback Chapter took another step forward toward a possible casino after the Navajo Nation Council approved an agreement Tuesday that creates a gaming revenue split between the two entities.

"The 61-6 vote during a special session of the council approved a memorandum of agreement (MOA) between Hogback and the Navajo Nation.

"Ervin Keeswood, who sponsored the bill, said that according to about a 'half dozen' gaming studies performed regarding the Hogback area, a full operational casino could net about $40 million in revenues.

"…According to the agreement, the Hogback Chapter would receive 10 percent of the net revenues generated in the first five years. The remaining 90 percent would go to the Navajo Nation. After the fifth year, Hogback would get 5 percent, while the Nation would receive 95 percent.

"However, gaming revenues wouldn't be distributed to individual tribal members. Instead, funds would be used for tribal programs and infrastructure…"

< Gaming News