Questions, questions, so many questions.
The older I get, the less I know, and the less I'm able to cope with the many unresolved questions that plague me, both in and out of the casinos. Perhaps you can enlighten me, because although I'm rich and famous, I can't deal with many concerns that make me lose sleep most nights.
Here are my top 21 in honor of my book 21st Century Blackjack. (That was a shameless plug!)
- Why are casinos visited by millions of people every year, yet only thousands of people buy books that improve their chances of winning?
- Why is lemon juice made with artificial flavor, while dishwashing liquid is made with real lemons?
- Why do blackjack players develop their own "personal variations" in Basic Strategy, when the absolute best strategy for the game was developed over 20 years ago?
- Why is the person who advises you how to invest in the stock market called a broker?
- Why do roulette enthusiasts think that they can "track" the last 20 winning numbers, and then predict what the next winning number will be?
- Why is the third hand on a watch called the second hand?
- Why do many video poker players hold a "kicker" with a small pair, in hopes of beating a machine?
- Why can a stupid person be called a smart-ass?
- Why does the casino always win more from us after we've had an extra cocktail or two?
- Why is a boxing ring square?
- Why do most casino gamblers blame their bad luck on the dealers, while their good luck is always a result of how skillfully they play?
- Why does the sun lighten our hair, but darken our skin?
- Why, on the few occasions that I play slot machines, does the little old lady sitting next to me always win a big jackpot?
- Why is abbreviated such a long word?
- Why do we remember winning lots of the casino's money last year, but then can't account for where it all went to?
- Why is it called "lipstick" if you can still move your lips?
- Why do casino gamblers get mad at me when I tell them all the stupid things that caused them to lose?
- Why is it considered necessary to nail down the lid of a coffin?
- Why do craps players assume that the "hard ways" are due because they haven't come up on the last 20 rolls?
- Why is it that doctors call what they do practice?
- Why is it that I'm writing this article, when I could be spending my spare time in a casino? And Frank only wanted 20 questions, but I wanted to honor my book...have I mentioned its name?
So many questions, so few answers, so little time left.... One more for the road: Why do you have to click the Start button on a Windows program in order to shut off your computer?
For more information about blackjack, we recommend: 21st Century Blackjack: New Strategies for a New Millennium
by Walter Thomason The Ultimate Blackjack Book
by Walter Thomason Best Blackjack
by Frank Scoblete The Morons of Blackjack and Other Monsters!
by Frank Scoblete Winning Strategies at Blackjack!
Video tape hosted by Academy Award Winner James Coburn, Written by Frank Scoblete
This article is provided by the Frank Scoblete Network. Melissa A. Kaplan is the network's managing editor. If you would like to use this article on your website, please contact Casino City Press, the exclusive web syndication outlet for the Frank Scoblete Network. To contact Frank, please e-mail him at email@example.com.